Google Apps for Education Event

Home Forums Professional Learning Google Apps for Education Event

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Fearghal
    Keymaster

Google Apps for Education Summit: Using Technology to Transform and Unlock Learning – FREE CPD for Teachers using FREE technology tools

Saturday 9th June 2012, 10.00 – 3.30pm
    Hilton Grosvenor Hotel, 1-9 Grosvenor Terrace, Glasgow

Google and partners are delighted to invite you to the Google Apps for Education Summit, a one-off opportunity to attend an ICT Training Event for educators at the Hilton Grosvenor Hotel, Glasgow on Saturday 9th June 2012. This event is a celebration of interesting practice. Attendance is free and includes lunch and refreshments.

What you can expect on the day?
    – Find out more about Google Earth, Collaborative Documents, YouTube in Schools, free personal storage.
    – Find out how Free Google Tools can help you teach digital literacy, assess student’s work and increase student productivity.

Places are strictly limited and will be allocated on a first come and first served basis.

To book your place follow the link: https://docs.google.com/a/google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?formkey=dGdkX09PREcyZGVYWXEwSHJhSERsSVE6MA#gid=0

john sexton
    Participant

I am going. Anyone else?

owexelstein
    Participant

Yes I am.

Fearghal
    Keymaster

I’ll be there 🙂

john sexton
    Participant

#beermeet after?

Fearghal
    Keymaster

That’s actually in the plans already!

john sexton
    Participant

Not received any “plans” yet. Have I missed something

Drew Burrett
    Participant

I’m going too, got a couple of colleagues interested too. #beermeet sounds like a great idea.

rnealsson

I’m not planning to attend this event: with the level of filtering in place in state schools, there’s absolutely no point. Despite the crowd calling for a Google platform to replace GLOW (#glew for example), there seems to be no indication that Google will have any more influence in Scottish Schools next year than they do now – and it’s very weak.

Until there is a more radical and workable solution to the delivery of Scotland’s infrastructure for education, I see no more point in immersing yourself in the Google brand than the Microsoft brand.

Fearghal
    Keymaster

Fair enough Richard.

But to what extent do school’s and Local Authorities need to (and to what extent should they) sit on their hands and wait for a National solution? eduBuzz.org is an example of how a Local Authority can progress with providing tools such as Google Apps for the benefit of learners. I actually wonder if some schools might consider going for a Google Apps installation in the next twelve months out of frustration with the National situation – and why shouldn’t they?

I happen to also think that these things are more likely to happen when classroom teachers are constantly pushing for these tools to be made available to their learners.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I’ve filled in form and it said see you there so presume I’m allowed to go?

As an alternative to GLOW 2 or whatever appears will be interesting…. 😎

would love to attend but unfortunately the last day of eis conference, and a big family occassion afterwards. will llok forward to hearing the tweets and posts afterwards!!

rnealsson

@fearghal the LA education departments do not decide infrastructure policy, their corporate divisions do. The litigation-aversity there is what has brought us the blind ignorance of web filtering and there is no incentive to change this, even if you accept (and there is no evidence for it) that teacher demand has any influence. GLOW was only taken up by COSLA members when they were incentivised by central government. @feorlean is unlikely to volunteer himself for the criticism by ditching the command-procured solution that GLOW has become, at least before the next election.

Meanwhile, the success of any new scheme created by independents like @charlie_love is in the hands of the content filters. It’s too early to suggest that Google or anyone else has a solution that could be adopted across the country and this is the key to it – child protection demands either a unified national solution or a significant increase in spending by individual schools. I can see neither in the near future.

Good luck with the session, it’s good to see people learning the generic tools of efolios, blogs and wikis.

Well, I’ll be there. Optimist that I am. Got a reply saying see you on Friday the 8th though, is it not on Saturday 9th?

Fearghal
    Keymaster

It is on the Saturday James. Don’t know why it says that. I think there’s another event on the Friday as well for LA types.

Richard, I won’t debate this further as you seem pretty clear on your opinions on this. Just to say though that the situation in your LA may not be the case in them all. It certainly isn’t the case in my LA, and given the response to Google’s Fast Track offer, it would appear my LA is not completely unique.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.