Author Posts

November 1, 2015 at 5:19 pm

Somewhat late to this chat, but I though of this when the chat idea came up. It should be possible to have a pedagoo post for each chat and embed or better still pull in all the tweets if you use an extra hash tag for each chat, say #sec1, #sec2 ect.

Stuff from Alan Levine’s WP theme might help: https://github.com/cogdog/dailyblank

This would be a space for a longer than 140 char intro to the chat and an archive of the chat itself.

November 2, 2015 at 8:29 am

Interesting John, thanks.

As it’s a theme I’m not sure how I would incorporate it into Pedagoo.org…but if folk were wanting it we could easily install the theme on a subdomain… http://scotedchat.pedagoo.org ?

November 2, 2015 at 12:59 pm

Hey Fearghal,

subdomain would be easiest. Other way would to be figure out how it is done and add in. The second would be a ton of work I think.

November 9, 2015 at 11:18 am

Hi all

I am keen to keep momentum going after a great first effort last week. I am keen to host a #ScotEdChat session on the theme of ‘Character, Values and Citizenship’ in education. I could do so on Thursday 19th November. What do you reckon?

I just wanted to ask:

• I know that some suggested themes for further chats were submitted by those involved last week, do we have any dates in place? Don’t want to step on any toes!
  • In terms of chat format – last week seemed to work so well that I am tempted to suggest we stick with that format for chat on 19th Nov i.e. 1 hour 8.30pm-9.30pm, with an invitation to carry on in a #slowchat format until 26th Nov. My summary blog piece can cover the initial chat on 19th and will also summarise any further contributions made until 26th.
  • In terms of chats beyond 26th Nov – how about we offer the option to hosts of committing to a ‘standard chat only’ such as last week i.e. 1 hour 8.30-9.30 – or a ‘standard chat plus’ i.e. the format I have described above including a #slowchat

Any thoughts? If there are no objections I’ll just go ahead and start promoting the chat for 19th Nov as described above.

G

November 9, 2015 at 11:45 am

Hi Gary,

I thought Caradh was totally brilliant last week. And she harnessed LOADS of post chat feedback and linking etc.

I’m happy to host one this week to keep momentum going.

I saw a simple idea on #sltchat page using a google form for people to submit questions etc. And offer services to host. Was going to put one together tonight.

Having a theme is good but I think sometimes working with crowd sourced questions will make the hashtag more manageable and grassroots.

I think we need to play around with the #slowchat format and try different things out. So, go for it.

I wouldn’t start promoting the chat for the 19th November till the week of the chat. There are loads of these Ed Twitter Chats and it would risk getting lost in the mix. Most of the ones I follow present the questions on the day of the chat.

Topics I thought might be good were:

1) Pupil Voice

2) A chat about the Digi Learning consultation

3) Time for teaching

I also don’t want to step on other people’s toes – so tell me which one you think would work best and I’ll get to it!

November 9, 2015 at 12:11 pm

Thanks Athole

Hear hear to Caradh being brilliant last week. It couldn’t have been a better start!

Thanks for doing one this week Athole. I would offer to do it but I am at the John Byrne Awards this Thursday night in Edinburgh 🙂

Google form would be great. I think keeping it simple is key i.e. Date – Chat Title – Host – Summary

That way it can serve both as an open/flexible timetable and also an archive with links to summary blogs.

Crowd sourcing questions – great idea

Ok I’ll do the chat on 19th plus #slowchat and see how it goes. I’ll start promoting from Monday 16th.

I think all the topics suggested are brilliant including yours above, previous suggestions in this thread plus suggestions coming through on #ScotEdChat itself. It’s almost a bit overwhelming but signals that this is needed and presents a great opportunity.

How about a group of pupils hosting a ‘pupil voice’ session?

And how about 4) Not worrying about stepping on people’s toes and just cracking on! 🙂

November 9, 2015 at 12:37 pm

Cool. All good!

Def with on getting students on here too! That really would be transformative edchat!

A 😎