Verbal Feedback

Home Forums PedagooResolutions Verbal Feedback Verbal Feedback

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Charlainesi
    Participant

Thought I’d start the ball rolling and use the format suggested by Fearghal Kelly so here goes….
    – what do you want to achieve?
    I would like to be more competent at structured feedback, I think at the moment I tend to be too positive and although this encourages pupils I don’t feel any effect in pupils learning beyond my classroom.

– why do you want to achieve it?
    Achieving this would allow pupils to become better at learning how to learn and make connections in their learning across their curriculum

– what would success look like from the pupils’ perspective?
    Pupils will be able to see trends and patterns to the advice given and seek support to improve their learning in all areas

– how do you intend to make the change?
    At the moment I have a structured conversation with pupils but would like to create more opportunities for 1:1 interactions in which we could explore further what are the needs of the pupil both within the context of learning with me but also across their curriculum

– what difficulties might you encounter?
    The biggest issue will be time, however if it is worth doing then the time should be found.

– what would help address these difficulties?
    I will take responsibility for creating time within the learning to have ore 1:1 interactions.
    I would also like examples of what other teachers do or have found successful to try to extend my current thinking.

– what am I doing now?
    At the end of each section of learning and usually ties to an summative assessment I have a 1:1 session with each pupil where we discuss how they feel about their learning and set targets, but this is too little and too late to have an impact on their learning in context

Hi!

After a wee think, here are my thoughts to some of Fearghal’s questions:

What do you want to achieve? – A more organised and effective approach to feedback which allows it to be instant, useful and able to be used in a formative way. And to cut down on the time I currently spend on feedback!

What would success look like from the pupils’ perspective? – fast, specific, easy to apply, and effective in that there is clear improvement

How do you intend to make the change? – Thinking about how I can be more structured with verbal feedback so that it can be collated by pupils and USED(I’ll need to get back to you on that one), creating more opportunities for verbal feedback, getting peers involved, and encouraging pupils to be critical of my feedback to enable meaningful dialogue

Difficulties? – Finding ways to generate time in class so that I can do this. Especially with some of the pretty big classes I have this year. Hope to overcome this by getting lots of ideas from Pedagooers!

What do I do now? – Lots and lots of written feedback. Verbal feedback is unstructured and often goes right out of pupils minds 10 minutes later! But the idea is for this to change in 2013…

Kellie Smith
    Participant

Hi Rebecca, in response to your post, specifically, “how do you intend to make the changes” and “how verbal feedback can be collated” point, I just wanted to share something I read that might help. I think I’m going to try it this year with my students. I can’t remember where I read this so sorry I don’t have a source (although I think it was maybe a blog via pinterest). It was basically, a teacher who spent time doing one on one feedback verbally with a child but then so that the child could show they understood and to record the conversation for future reference, the child went off and wrote a brief summary of the conversation in their own words. This meant that the teacher had time to spend with other children but the conversation was then useful and remembered. Hope that helps some. I’ll let you know how it goes when I get back to school and use it. Thanks.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.