Author Posts

October 21, 2015 at 8:25 am

What is the purpose of #ScotEdChat and how will it work?

October 21, 2015 at 8:52 am

Some of the initial thoughts were:

“Each month a volunteer (or group of volunteers) could choose one week when they’ll offer to faciliate a discussion on a particular theme.
This could involve requesting/inviting/encouraging a few indivuduals with a particular interest or expertise in that area to contribute their thoughts to kick-start the conversation.”

Although the conversation has moved on a lot since. I’m not entirely sure where we’re up to. It’d be great if someone who has been more involved could outline the current plans.

In the meantime, I knocked up a possible wee logo…

ScotEdChat

October 21, 2015 at 9:13 am

I think the consensus so far was for a slow chat format. 5 days and 5 questions round a theme. Based on Twitter and hosted by a person or a group of volunteers. On Sunday all the chat and links are collated into a blog post.

But I think we can be as creative as we want to with this. potentially link in with events like RadioEdTalk, TeechMeets, Pedagoos, conferences etc. – And encourage parental, student and 3rd sector groups to lead the discussion too.

October 21, 2015 at 9:13 am

Logo looks good!  It has been hard to keep track of plans via twitter.  This should make it much easier to discuss and make some clear decisions.

I like the idea of the host being able to invite people to kick start the discussion.  This would take the pressure off and has the potential to involve a greater variety of people/sectors.

Weeks questions advertised via Twitter immediately following previous chat.  Then…

e.g. Day 1 – Question is advertised alongside a link to a short pedagoo blog on the subject. Slow chat via Twitter.  Host retweeting selection through @ScotEdChat account.  And so on…

Host then produces a summary blog at the end of the week and perhaps uses something like storify to collate tweets?

October 21, 2015 at 10:03 am

This all sounds great. And are we thinking every week, or one week each month still? I worry that we might burn ourselves out if we go for every single week?

October 21, 2015 at 10:59 am

One a month sounds good particularly to begin with.  It would give time in between to build momentum and encourage engagement from a variety of sectors/contributors.   No reason why we couldn’t also do the odd quick fire chat in between if someone had a burning issue they wished to discuss?

October 21, 2015 at 11:44 am

One a month till the New Year with some quick fire chat in between sounds good to me.

October 21, 2015 at 11:47 am

Hi all,

Athole thanks for invite to join.

One focus per month sounds great. Like the idea of account holder curating through @scotedchat account. Looking forward to keeping up and contributing.

Ross (Children’s Parliament Comms)

October 21, 2015 at 12:05 pm

Welcome Ross. Great to have your contributions and experience. Was singing the Children’s Parliament’s praises yesterday to an HT who had not heard of you!

October 22, 2015 at 9:04 am

Hey all – this all sounds great! Trying to keep an eye on it from Ireland (bad timing for a holiday!) but delighted #scotedchat has become ‘a thing’ in my absence. That’s the whole point after all. Format above looks great.

I reckon we’ve pretty much done the first ‘slow chat’ – forming #scotedchat – so I’ll try to make some time today to post a blog about it.

I will happily host a slow chat on ‘whole person education’ when I’m back – do we have any initial dates?

October 22, 2015 at 11:09 pm

What about Thursday 5th November?  That would give plenty time to finalise plans and get the word out to encourage participation?  A slow chat on “whole education” would actually be a nice way to start, it is pretty inclusive.

We could still consider a warm up chat on Thursday 29th – 8.30-9pm? We could either use my warm up suggestion or keep it more simple and use it as a Pop in and say hello e.g:

Who are you and what do you do?

What are your main areas of interest?

How can we encourage participation in #ScotEdChat?

I would happily host this one via the @ScotEdChat account (is that possible?) and, of course, a slow chat on another date.

Perhaps, we could go back to the original google doc now?

October 23, 2015 at 10:05 am

That all sounds fab!

I should point out that there’s a #GTCSpl slow chat on Monday to Thursday next week on literature which we could all join in with also…

October 25, 2015 at 6:04 pm

Sounds good Caradh. 5th November. #scotedchat kicks of with a bang on bonfire night!